Here are the highlights of the SCCPSS Board Meetings for July 12, 2017:
Good News Report:
- Community Partner Spotlight – Parker’s was recognized for their “Fueling the Community” program. The first Wednesday of the month, one penny of every gallon sold is set aside for local public schools. The generosity resulted in Parker’s presenting checks to many schools across the district totaling $20,000!
- Healthy Schools – There are two schools in the district that have made enough progress promoting nutrition and physical activity that they were awarded the 2017 Bronze National Healthy Schools Awards from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Congratulations to Pooler and Shuman Elementary Schools!
- Educator of Distinction – Each year student members of The National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) are invited to nominate the educator who has made the most significant contribution to their academic career. This year one of our very own was selected by NSHSS as a “Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction.” Congratulations to Woodville Tompkins Culinary Arts Instructor Carl Dyson-Bosier on a job well done!
- District Awards – Four Board of Education Campus Police Award recipients were recognized. Each recipient recognized has shown his/her dedication and commitment to ensure safety in our schools.
- 2017 Crossing Guard of the Year – Mildred Patterson
- 2017 Civilian of the Year – Margaret Kemp
- 2017 Officer of the Year – APO Kenneth Ware
- 2017 Leadership Award – Deputy Superintendent Vanessa Miller-Kaigler
Charter School Report:
- Susie King Taylor Community School – The school’s staff provided an update on the opening of the school for the upcoming school year.
- There are 180 students enrolled and currently 36 children on the waitlist.
- The renovations to the campus are currently on track. Furnishings and supplies have been ordered. The school is awaiting delivery.
- There will be an opening ceremony on the first day of school, August 3rd at the morning school bell.
- The school is located at 1709 Bull Street in Savannah and is led by School Director Dr. Latrisha Chattin.
- Lydia Taylor is the new Interim Assistant Principal at STEM Academy at Bartlett
- Benjamin Wanager is the new Interim Assistant Principal at Beach High School
- July 27th – Haven Elementary School Ribbon Cutting – 10:00 AM
- August 3rd – First Day of School
- August 7th – Budget Committee Meeting – 8:30 AM
- August 9th – Board Meetings – 9:30 AM Informal Meeting Starts
- August 30th – Charter School Workshop – 2:00 PM
- September 27th – Charter School Liaison Committee Meeting – 10:00 AM
For the full agenda for past meetings go to Board Docs
Michael Johnson serves as the Savannah-Chatham County Public School 7th District School Board Member and Buyer Agent for The Johnson Team with Keller Williams Realty Coastal Area Partners.